April 2020 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Top Ten Songs Of 2010 (So Far)
- Top Ten Albums of 2010 (so far)
- The Year's Most Underrated Album (So Far)
- BRUCE PENINSULA - “Shanty Song” // ((Canadian music collective combining the sound of americana folk and gospel soul with progressive compositions and a cacophony of vocals.)) RIYL: Bodies of Water, Timber Timbre, Woodpigeon
- THE LEISURE SOCIETY - “Save It For Someone Who Cares” // ((Grandiose, luxurious chamber pop meets folk pop melodies. Just lovely music from the UK.)) RIYL: Fanfarlo, Midlake, The Beatles
- GENTLEMAN REG - “How We Exit” // ((Canadian singer songwriter who has performed with music collectives Final Fantasy and The Hidden Cameras, throws down with some serious indie rock pop.)) RIYL: The Dears, David Bowie, Jason Collett
- ELLIE GOULDING - “Starry Eyed” // ((Electronic infused dance pop music from British singer-songwriter.)) RIYL: Marina & the Diamonds, Florence + The Machine, Paloma Faith
- TELEKINESIS - “Awkward Kisser” // ((The brain child of Seattle indie rocker, Michael Benjamin Lerner walking the line between effervescent indie rock and bouncy power pop.)) RIYL: The Morning Benders, Spoon, Deathcab for Cutie
- TWO HOURS TRAFFIC - “Noisemaker” // ((Bright indie power pop from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canadian 4-piece)) RIYL: Big Star, The Cars, Nick Lowe
- OHBIJOU - “New Years” // ((Toronto-based folk pop ensemble fronted by the Mecija sisters create soothing and soaring compositions with harmonic vocal layering.)) RIYL: Julie Doiron, Mazzy Star, Bowerbirds
Category Archives: news
Black Box Recorder are coming back after six years on hiatus (not counting the single they recorded with Art Brut), Luke Haines has confirmed they will be recording a new album this year. They are even playing a few gigs in the UK. It looks as though the new album will be loosely based on the punk group Crass. Here’s hoping they make their way stateside, perhaps alongside The Jesus and Mary Chain. Go, go Glasgow!
Chicago’s The Bitter Tears are a truly extraordinary group of musicians that one must experience in the live concert setting to truly appreciate the in-your-face absurdity and pure drama that their rambling catchy dada cabaret has to offer. Their often humorous and overwrought lyrics run the gamut of satire, lust, and the grotesque and the orchestrations created by this oddball group will build a groove and sway, then seem to fall apart at the seams in a sort of controlled deconstruction and then bring you back around in whirl of bass and trombone. The Bitter Tears are preparing to release a new LP Jam Tarts and the Jakehouse, which comes out March 3rd on Carrot Top Records. If you are looking for an off-the-wall night of music, I recommended checking out The Bitters at one of their upcoming dates.
DOWNLOAD: The Bitter Tears – “Starlight” – [MP3]
Fresh off the presses, here is the new video from NYC’s Asobi Seksu, “Me and Mary” a single off their forthcoming third LP HUSH out Feb 17th on Polyvinyl Records, which should prove to be a further exploration of their signature brand of dreamy, expansive pop that is adventurously guided by the sweet vocals of lead singer Yuki Chikudate. She could sing me to sleep (in a good way) if I wasn’t reeling from the spacey and rumbling accompaniment from James Hanna and friends. Asobi Seksu hits the Empty Bottle on March, 5th.
Chicago Tour Date:
Mar 05 Chicago, IL @ Empty Bottle
Brooklyn dream-pop trio Chairlift is bringing their dark, yet bouncy electronic-infused pop to Chicago, when they play Schubas on March 14th with YACHT. If you are still digging on Casio drum machines and all the joy they bring, don’t miss this outing.
For those of you with a TV, you may recognize their catchy pop song “Bruises” from the iPod Nano-Chromatic commercial.
Check out some free downloads from their recent Daytrotter Session, including a fun little rendition of said “Bruises”.
Chicago Tour Dates for Chairlift:
Sat. Mar. 14 – Chicago, IL – Schuba’s w/YACHT
Thurs. April 23 – Chicago, IL – Metro w/Peter Bjorn & John